Navigation Bar

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Poetic License and Lolita Margaritas



Hi there, everyone. I’m Bianca Strzelczyk and I’m beyond excited to share my shoes and my cocktails on Bridget’s fabulous blog.

This past weekend my boyfriend and I celebrated our five-year anniversary at Lolita Cocina and Tequila Bar in Boston. The restaurant has a dark, seductive feel -- with red lights behind the bar, large leather chairs in the lounge area, and lots of black detail on the walls. It’s dungeon-like and creepy – but in a good way. (Yes, that’s possible.)

Naturally, super sexy, super high heels are a must at place like this, and I flaunted these badass Poetic License beauties.



I’d bought them a week earlier at a little shop in my neighborhood for … wait for it … $39. Craziness, right? The brand retails at Nordstrom for at least $100.

But that’s George’s Shoes for you in Jamaica Plain – the place is so small it doesn’t even have a website. Trust me, though, if you’re ever within 10 miles of the shop, you must go. Great deals, fun styles, what more could a gal ask for?

Besides the perfect margarita, of course.




Inspired by the Lolita Margarita (pictured above) – which is an absolute phenomenal combination of ingredients – I set out to recreate a comparable drink the morning after my anniversary. (Literally – I started Googling recipes at 10:30 a.m.)

After some research, I think I pretty much got it. (Well, at the very least, I got some ridiculously delicious.)

Looks similar, right?

It’s a combination of the SkinnyGirl Margarita and the Lolita Margarita, so it’s semi-calorie light. I like my margaritas a bit more salty (mmm sodium!) than sweet and this recipe reflects that but feel free to tweak it to your taste.

Ingredients
2 oz silver tequila
3 to 4 Tbsp fresh grapefruit juice (one grapefruit is plenty)
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice (one lime is plenty)
1 tsp (or more!) agave nectar* (or simple syrup)
Splash of Triple Sec, Grand Marnier or Cointreau
Lime wedge for serving
Salt (or sugar) for serving


Rub some lime on the rim of a glass. Tip it in salt or sugar. Put a few ice cubes in the glass and set aside. (I usually put mine in the freezer.)

Combine the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, agave nectar (or substitute), and Triple Sec (or substitute) with ice in a shaker. Shake well.


Pour into the glass and garnish with lime.


Enjoy!

*I just so happened to have agave nectar on hand, and decided to give it a try. Turns out, it’s an absolutely perfect sweetener for margaritas, and at only 60 calories per tablespoon (and I only used a teaspoon in the recipe), it’s a great low-cal alternative to simple syrup.

Which naturally means you can drink two. Or five.

Bottoms up!

To read more from Bianca, check out the animal blog Current Instincts, and articles about drunk elephants.

No comments:

Post a Comment